Friday, November 21, 2008

Ennai Kathrikai Kozhumbu ( Brinjal Curry-Vaniyambadi style)

Ennai kathrikai kozhumbu or Brinjal curry is made in different styles. I myself make it in two method. One method uses stuffed brinjal and other doesn't. The one I am gonna share today is vaniyambadi style!!!!

Vaniyambadi is a town, part of Vellore district.The town is also famous for its food, including biriyani and various types of sweets. The famous Hill station Yelagiri is about 20 km from town. Speaking of vaniyambadi brings back my childhood memories..... Even though I was born in chennai, I hardly lived there for few years!!! My mother was a advocate then, now she is in Judiciary and gets transferred every three years.. that's how I came know about most of the places...


Vaniyambadi has Muslim population and their biriyani tastes heavenly!!!! I have tasted so many varieties of sweets, which u will never find it elsewhere.. Coming to Brinjal curry, they used to make this curry as side dish for biriyani... U have to try this combination, its awsome!!! My mom learnt this recipe from one of our neighbour and passed it to me. I love this curry with rice and pickle. U have to use tender brinjal to enhance the taste of the curry... Lets move on to the ingredients!!!!!!!!!!!




Ingredients:


8 small Brinjals

salt to taste

2 cups water



Paste:

1 large onion chopped
5 garlic flakes

1' ginger

1 large tomato chopped

2 tbsp redchilli powder

1 tsp garam masala or ( 4 cloves, 4 small pattai, 2 cardamom, 1 tsp fennel seedes)

1 tbsp dhania

1/2 cup grated coconut



Seasoning:

Mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves

Preparation:

Cut the brinjal from down into four pieces. don't separate the ends!!!. I didn't have small brinjal so I used Eggplant which tasted as good as our brinjals..

Heat oil, add the ingredients from paste one by one... Fry for few minutes till the raw smell of spices vanishes!!!. Remove from heat, allow it to cool down. Grind to fine paste adding 2 cups of water.

Heat remaining oil, add seasoning items in same order... Add Brinjal and fry till the skin turns to brown color. I t might take upto 10 - 15 mts. Keep in medium heat, don't over do it. Add the ground mixture and let the brinjal cook in it. Add salt, cover and cook till the brinjal becomes tender... Garnish with cilantro!!!




Serve hot with Rice or Chappati




Please Leave Ur Valuable comments!!!!!


0 comments:

Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP