Friday, January 16, 2009

Bitter Gourd (Pavakai ) Fry

Bitter gourd or pavakai (Tamil) fry is my favourite. I will eat bitter gourd when its deep fried. In my school day, i will throw the bitter gourd poriyal from my lunch box and lie to my mom. I hated this veggie because its bitter no other flavour....Yikes.... My mother used to boil the bitter gourd strain its water, add little bit of salt... next is the interesting part. She will just drink the bitter gourd water. She used to say its very good for health, kills any worms in the tummy and so on,.. I have never tried that... Now i started cooking different dishes in bitter gourd..


Ingredients:

4 fresh bitter gourd/ pavakai
3 tbsp rice flour
1 tbsp besan
1 tbsp redchilli powder
salt to taste
oil for deep frying

Preparation::

Cut bitter gourd into small round pieces. Mix all the ingredients except oil. sprinkle water to make thick paste. Add bitter gourd pieces and mix well. Leave for 30 min to 1 hr. heat oil for deep frying. Add bitter gourd pieces one by one. Fry till golden brown. Remove from heat and strain oil with tissue paper. Rice flour makes it crispy and yummy...

Serve it with rice,sambar or any other curry...

7 comments:

Vaidehi Bhave

nice idea of eating bitter gourd thanks for sharing :)

chakali

Deepthi Shankar

I have heard so much about this, never had it, looks yumm

SMN

this is my all time fav too :)

Ashwini

Thanks Vaidehi, deesha and SMN

vimmi

Dear Ashwini,

Tried your recipe and it tasted very well. Keep up the good work dear.

Love
Yasmin

vimmi

Dear Ashwini,

Tried your recipe and it tasted very well. Keep up the good work dear.

Love
Yasmin

Pavithra Elangovan

wow i love this so much dear..urs is looking so good.

Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP