Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Curried Carrot Soup

Rachael Ray is my favourite host of 30 minute meals from Food network. I luv her way of cooking..What a chatter box she is? I would just imagine, How is it possible to speak non-stop and continue cooking..man that's tough task.. she does it with ease..I just love her. I like to try her soups and stew recipes..other recipes involves red meat so I never wanted to try those recipes..But looks yummo..while she present them at the table.

Curried carrot soup was one such recipe caught my attention. very simple yet delicious. Soup and garlic bread with salad..what an amazing and "figure friendly" dinner!!!


(Recipe source)


Ingredients
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds packaged baby carrots, (I used carrots)

6 cups chicken stock, available on soup aisle (I substituted with water)
1 tablespoon mild curry paste or 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder (Garam Masala)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper( I used Jalapeno Pepper)
Coarse salt
1 cup sour cream (I didn't have it, so didn't use it)
6 blades fresh chives, cut into 1-inch pieces (I used coriander leaves)



Directions
Preheat medium pot over medium high heat. Add olive oil, butter, onions and carrots and saute 5 minutes. Add 4 cups chicken stock, curry and cayenne, and about 1 teaspoon salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until carrots are very tender, about 15 minutes. Place pot on a trivet next to food processor. Process soup in 2 or 3 small batches until soup is smooth and carrots are fully pureed. Transfer processed soup into a large bowl as you work to make room for more soup in the food processor. Return completed soup to the soup pot and place back over low heat. If the soup is too thick, add remaining stock, up to 2 cups, to achieve desired consistency. Adjust seasonings. Place sour cream in a plastic condiment squeeze bottle or into a medium food storage bag. Cut a very small hole in the corner of the bag with scissors. Ladle soup into bowls and squirt a swirl of sour cream around the bowl from the center out to the rim. Drag a toothpick from the center of the bowls out to the edges, forming a spider web design on soup. Pile a few pieces of cut chives at the center of each bowl to resemble green spiders in their webs! Cool!

7 comments:

FH

I love Carrot Saaru, so this soup would go down easily at home. Looks delicious! :)

Chitra

hmm, nice soup,new to me.will try it out soon:)

Poornima Nair

That soup looks delicious Ashwini..I too like watching Rachel Ray, although at times I feel like clipping her mouth shut:)

Nandinis food

I love carrot soup! Nice color! I like your tips and notes (the ones with red color in the brackets). I want to grab that bowl!

Suparna

Hi Ashwini,
Carrot soup this way is new to me, the name is really interesting..with the curried part to it am sure it would taste damn good. nice pic.
TC

gtyuk

yesterday, tt was soup for me too ! looks creamy and smooth and comforting! nice tip for the decoration :)

lubnakarim06

Wow nice way to blend the carrots into tasty recipe......Looks vibrant and yum.

Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP