Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Thattai & Awards

Thattai is my favourite snack. I luv the spicy and crispy flavour of thattai. I can munch on several of these at a time. Store bought ones never tastes good as the homemade ones. This is my first trial. I had few probs, I think i added more water than needed. When I deep fried them, it was kind of chewy in some places. Another problem was the thickness of thattai. If it was too thin, it was too crispy..if it was too thick, it was soft. I had to add more flour to overcome the water.





Ingredients:

1 cup rice flour
1 cup water
3/4 tsp red chilli pwd
1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing
salt to taste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 1/2 tbsps channa dal (soak in water for an hour and drain)
1 tbsp roasted dalia
1 tsp ghee or butter (optional)
roughly torn few curry leaves (optional)
oil for deep frying


Preparation:
Mix all the above ingredients to form a pliable dough. Add water slowly,the mixture should be crumbly. Make small balls of the dough and flatten to form a thin circle of diameter 2 cm . You could use a thick plastic sheet or wax paper to make the thattai. Rub your hands with oil which helps in easier flattening of the balls. Make sure to prick them with the help of a fork which helps it to stop puffing up when frying. Once gthe color changes to golden, remove from heat.

Thattai is ready!!!

Awards Time....

Lavi of Home cooked recipes has passed me 360 DEGREE FOODIE award.. Thank you so much for ur appreciation Lavi....



Shanti Kumar of Shanti's cook book and Sarah Naveen of Vazhayila has passed me an Honest scrap award... Thank you guys .. I appreciate it!!! This award comes with certain rules...






Requirements:-

1.I must thank the person who gave me the award and list their blog and link i
t2.I must list 10 honest things about myself
3.I must put a copy of Honest Scrap logo on my blog
4.I must select at least 7 other worthy blogger and list their links
5.I must notify the blogger of the award and hopefully they will follow the above three requirements also.


10 HONEST THINGS abt me...

1. I love cooking and eating!!!
2. I am a closed book to everyone except my close ones
3. I have a possessive nature towards my loved ones
4. I hate doing household chores.
5. I hate selfish people and people who takes me for granted.
6. I love shopping..
7. I am totally in Love with Kamal haasan ( thats 125% honest answer:))
8. I Luv travel..
9. I will never try anything without knowing the ingredient in it..
10. I love to be alone in solitude...


Its time to pass on to seven other friends..

Chitra of Ratatouille
Sadana & Muskan of A2z vegetarian
Poornima of Tasty treats

21 comments:

Sailaja Damodaran

Congrats.....Nice to know more about u.....2 awards Jackpot.....Keep rocking.Ur thatai looks perfect.

Unknown

Lovely dish and congrats on your awards. Thanks for sharing it with us.

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca

Congrats on ur awards....u truly deserve it dear...nice recipe too...

Priya Suresh

Congrats on ur award Ash, thattai looks simply outstanding..

Gita Jaishankar

Congrats on your awards Aswini...those thattais looks cripsy and perfect...nice red color too :)

Ashwini

Thanks sailaja, a2z vegie, gita, priya and aysha

Parita

Congratulations on your awards! Thattai looks crispy and delicious, perfect snack :)

Poornima Nair

Congrats ans thanks for sharing the awards with me. It was great reading about u.

amna

i tried these last diwali and they came out reasonably well :)

Nithya

Thattai looks yummm.. congrats on your awards

Indian Khana

Congrats dear.I like thattai too..looks very gud

Sarah Naveen

Congrats on ur awards!!! Thattai is a beauty!!

Finla

Congrats on the awards, i think i have seen this i shops in glass bottles.

Ashwini

Thanks u guys... Its great pleasure to share the award with u gals...

Valarmathi Sanjeev

Congrats on your award, thattai looks crispy and yummy. Nice color.

Ann

Congrats on your award and recipe sounds yum

Vani

Thattai looks crisp and delish! Congrats on the awards, Ashwini.

Chitra

Wow, thattai looks superb..Very thin..Gr8.Have bookmarked it dear.COngrats on ur awards and nice tag..Thanks for passing me dear..Will do the tag soon :)

Divya Kudua

Congrats on your awards:)

Thattai looks just too good.Crispy and crunchy,no one can eat just one:)

lata raja

You certainly overcame all the probs and brought out these crispy Thattais. They look fiery red and wonderfully crisp.Congratulations on the awards. And amused to read your 125% honest answer...not brad pitt, not srk????

Sandhya

Nice crispy thatai . I will try out and surprise my husband :)

First time here.... you have a lovely collection of recipes.

Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP