Monday, April 20, 2009

Methi Mattar Malai

Methi mattar malai was totally new recipe to me..I had leftover whipped cream..was about to expire..I was browsing for some recipes, found this perfect recipe from...no guesses!!its none other than Mahanandi. Luckily I had methi/fenugreek leaves/vendiya keerai at home.. It came out very well and was a wonderful combo for rice or chappathi..

Indira, Ur recipe was Tried, Tasted & Certified: Excellent!!!!!



(Recipe source)


Ingredients:

Fresh fenugreek leaves (methi) - 1 cup
Fresh peas (matar) - 1 cup (I used Frozen peas)
Malai (cream) - half cup(homemade or store-bought evaporated milk - unsweetened variety)
2 red potatoes - peeled and cubed to bite sized pieces (I used Idaho potatoes)
Salt and turmeric to taste or half teaspoon each
Peanut oil or ghee - one teaspoon (I used corn oil)

Masala paste:

One small red onion or shallot ( I used 1/4 of big yellow onion)
one inch size ginger
six green chillies
two cloves
one inch piece of cinnamon stick
one teaspoon cumin and
quarter cup of fresh peas (peas are added to thicken the sauce)

Grind all these ingredients to fine paste!!!



Preparation:

I just followed the original recipe...

Heat oil in a wide skillet.
Add and saute the masala paste for 5 minutes on medium heat until the paste starts to turn red.
Now add one after another, first potatoes, then fenugreek leaves and finally peas. Do a quick stir-fry until the leaves wilt.I added peas at last stage after adding malai..to avoid overcooking them..Remember i used cooked frozen peas..
Add malai (evaporated milk). Stir in salt and turmeric and about 1 cup of water. (I also added a half teaspoon of jaggery which helps to bring out the sweetness of peas. But this is optional.)I Didn't add jaggery as this was optional..moreover I don't like sweetness in my curries... Cover and cook for about 15 minutes on medium heat until potatoes and peas are cooked to tender and the sauce thickens. Serve warm. Tastes superb with chapatis or with naans.

5 comments:

FH

Tarla Dalal's book has a recipe for this dish, need to try that soon or whenever I get the methi. Looks delicious!:)

Ramya Vijaykumar

looks lovely, tempting... Love the way methi leaves are cooked...

Indira

Glad to read that you tried and liked this recipe, Ashwini. Appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Ashwini

Thanks Asha, Ramya and Indira...

Vanamala Hebbar

The combo looks nice...nice recipe

Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP