Friday, May 8, 2009

Okra Fry with Poppy seeds

I prefer ladies finger to be fried. I don't like it in gravies coz of its stickiness. I already blogged about my favourite Verision. I was looking for something new to try..Found a wonderful recipe from Indira's website..Actually Mahanandi is like google for recipes.. Tried this one..absolutely fantastic..Me and my hubby finished the whole lot fry in one sitting...

Recipe source!!!

Ingredients:

20 okra
3 tablespoons poppy seeds (kus kus)
3 dried red chillies
Salt and turmeric - to taste

Seasoning: 1 tablespoon oil,Pinch each - cumin, mustard seeds and 6 curry leaves

Preparation:

I might have changed the quantities a little bit..just followed the original recipe..

1 Trim the ends and cut the okra to quarter to half inch wide rounds.

2 Roast poppy seeds in a dry, hot iron skillet for about 3 minutes, until they just start to color and release their aromas. Add dried red chillies and a pinch of salt and pound or blend all the ingredients together. Keep working until a nice, moist paste is formed.

3 In a wide skillet, heat a tablespoon of oil. Add and toast the seasoning ingredients first and then add the okra pieces. Mix once and fry the pieces, very rarely stirring, until they are free from moisture. A well seasoned cast-iron skillet charms the okra to a beautiful crispiness. If you have one, use it for this recipe.

"When okra pieces transform from clinging kids to leave me alone type teenagers,
it’s time to introduce the adulthood delights with spices."

This is my favourite quote, I love Indira's way of connecting with real life..Indira please don't mind me for highlighting these lines from ur post...

Add the poppy seed powder, turmeric and salt. Mix gently and saute for few more minutes.

Serve hot with any curry!!!

9 comments:

Vani

Sounds like a great recipe!

Parita

Wow thats very different recipe..never tried okras using poppy seeds..must a try for me :)

Pooja

Wow looks yummy n spicy! I too like having it roasted instead of curry. This looks great :)

chef and her kitchen

Loved the addition of poppy seeds,i guess it would added more taste to it..

Suparna

Hi Ashwini,
Okra with poppy seeds is new to me, looks easy and tasty.
TC

Ramya Vijaykumar

Okra in poppy thats so new to me... I bought some okra from the market yday, shall give yours a try...

Vikis Kitchen

okra looks crispy n yummy.

Vaishali

Ashwini, I usually add mustard seeds to my okra fry, but the idea of using poppy seeds sound really good. Gotta try it your way next time-- okra's always a big hit with my hubby!

Ashwini

Thanks Vani, Parita, Pratiba, Suparna,Ramya, Vicky Xavier, Vaishali..

I was hesitant to try this recipe..never used poppy seed for dishes other than kurma..But tasted real good...So try it and lemme know the feedback :)

Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP