Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Drumstick channa kurma and Paruppu rasam

Hello everyone

I had problem with my internet connections, couldnt blog and comment on ur blogs... from tommorow i will visit ur blogs to drop a note..(Yesterday post was a scheduled one!!!)

Lets get to business...

This recipe is from Dr. Damodaran’s cooking recipes. His recipes always have a traditional touch to any recipe. He always cooks in mud pots, which enhances the taste of the dish. This recipe was totally new to me; I would have never tried this combo in million years. It tasted too good….This goes very well with Idli, dosa and Rice...





Ingredients:
5 Drumstick (frozen, cut into 3” pieces)
½ cup Channa dal
1 onion
2 tomatoes
3 greenchillies
2 tsp redchilli powder
½ tsp turmeric
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp g&g paste
2 Cinnamon stick
2 cloves
2 bay leaves
1 tsp sombu
small lemon size tamarind ( Soak and extract water)
¼ cup grated coconut
2 tbsp oil
salt to taste

Preparation:
Grind grated coconut to a fine paste.
Soak channa dal for 30 mts.
Heat oil in a pan. Add whole garam masala (Cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon stick, fennel seeds). Add onion and sauté till translucent. Add g&g paste, green chilies and tomatoes. Let the tomatoes turn mushy. Add channa dal and drumstick. If u are using frozen drumstick, defrost them and add to the curry. Add red chili, coriander and turmeric powder. Sauté for 2 mts. Add 1 cup of water. Add salt and let it boil. The gravy will be thick. Once the dal is cooked (should be soft, don’t overcook), add coconut paste. Cover and let it boil. Finally add thick tamarind water. Mix well and let it boil for 1 mt. Remove from heat, garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot!!!!



Paruppu rasam

Its one of my favorite version of rasam. If u try this rasam, u will never go back to normal rasam. Dal is the magical ingredient and it makes all the difference to the taste of the rasam.


Cook ½ cup of toor dal with 2 ½ cups of water (or more). Once the toor dal is cooked, strain the water from dal and mash the dal with mathu or masher. Grind 2 tomatoes and ¼ cup of coriander leave to coarse paste. Heat extracted dal water and paste in a pan. Add turmeric powder and salt and let it boil. Extract juice from lemon sized tamarind. Add the tamarind water to the pan. Let it boil for 5 mts. Remove from heat. Add Rasam powder, mashed Dal and adjust salt.
Heat 1 tbsp of ghee and 1 tbsp of oil in a pan for seasoning. Add mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add curry leaves, Asofoetida and 3 red chillies. Finally add mashed Garlic and sauté for 5 mts. Add the seasoning to rasam and transfer the pan to stove. Let it come to one boil. Remove from heat. Garnish with coriander. Paruppu rasam is ready!!!!

18 comments:

Sailaja Damodaran
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah Naveen

Wow!!!
Drumstick and chana..very interesting combination....recipe is real new to me and it makes me drooling!!!!

Unknown

Drumstick and Channa what a combinations. Looks delicious.

ashsdelicacies.blogspot.ca

Hey dis is a completey new recipe dear...loved the combination of chana n drumsticks...never thgt abt it...will definitely give a try...

Sailaja Damodaran

Mr. Damodaran was my Vice principal in my catering college...he makes typical home style ...i like his dishes....

Ashwini

Thanks sarah naveen, sailaja, aysha and a2z vegetarian..

I have load of his recipes.. I am gonna try it

Gita Jaishankar

Delicious dish Aswini...thanks for sharing this recipe...even I used to watch his shows in India ...it has been quite sometime since I saw them :)

Ann

OO! this is NEW to me and sounds soo tasty. Will try this version soo. Thanks for sharing

Bindiya

This really looks yummy, can't wait to try it out!

lata raja

i would not have tried this combo either.However, I am such a rasam lover, that I will try the rasam first.Happy your internet is sorted out. I was not able to open your blog two days ago.

Parita

Drumstick curry sounds delicious, and loved the rasam, i too add some tur dal while making rasam!

Ashwini

Thanks parita, Ann, gita, lata raja and bindiya...

Pooja

Drumstick kurma looks so yummy! I love drumsticks in any dish but I dont get it here, not even in frozen section! The rasam looks tempting too. I love adding dal to rasam..gives a wonderful taste!

Pavani

Delicious looking dish. Love the combination of flavors.

Srilakshmi

Drumstick and Channa is new to me, looks delicious.. My mom uses dal in Rasam, though I don't use it.

Valarmathi Sanjeev

Drumstick and channa. Nice combo. I liked your rasam very much. Yummy with hot rice.

Ashwini

Thanks pooja, srilakshmi, valarmathi and pavani..
We r lucky to get frozen drumstick in houston..its the best veggie for sambar

Anonymous

I tried both your items. I really loved both items. Thanks. Can you post more recipes from Dr.Damodaran.I love all his recipes.My husband loved the rasam.

Radha

Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP