Monday, February 23, 2009

Potato Appalam Poriyal

Potato appalam poriyal is one of our household recipe...I donno if this recipe is followed anywhere else. My mother used do it all the time coz this is one of my favourite..Uralakizhango appalam (Tamil Version) is a good combo with rasam and curd rice...When I went to India for my marriage, I learnt this recipe and I wanna share this with everyone!!!!

Ingredients:

2 Potatoes Boiled
1 cup Channa dhal
1 onion
1 tomato
1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
1 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
5 fried appalams
salt to taste

Seasoning: Oil, Mustard seeds, Curry leaves, Hing (perungayam)

Preparation:

As usual start with seasoning...Add the ingredients in order specified.. Add onions fry till translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and fry couple of minutes. Add chopped tomato and 1/2 cup of water. Cover and cook till they become mushy...Add turmeric, red chilli and curry powder.

In the meanwhile, boil channa dhal with 3 cups of water. Boil till the dhal becomes soft.. Strain the water and keep aside. Fry appalam and keep aside.

To the fried mixture add boiled, chopped potato and strained channa dhal. Adjust salt. Cover and cook for 10 mts...After the flavours are mixed together. Smash the appalam over the potato chana dhal mixture and remove from heat.

Serve hot with Rasam!!!!

This is my contribution to LENTILS MELA...

4 comments:

FH

That is a unique dish, looks so good. Fried appalams and potato, yummy.

lubnakarim06

Wow aromatic and flavourful.

gtyuk

something new to me! sounds mushy, crunchy and chewy at the same time, interesting recipe!

Anonymous

Thatz an awesome recipe.. can eat a pot-full!!

Ashwini's Spicy Cuisine   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP